What is GDevelop?
GDevelop is a free and opensource game engine, designed to let developers create their games with minimum programming skills.
Unlike more powerful game engines like Unity and Unreal, GDevelop only supports 2D games and lacks some of the more advanced functions. But what it lacks in power, it makes up for in ease-of-use, and does not require knowledge of any programming languages.
- 2D only
- Minimum coding required
- Editor runs on Windows, macOS, Linux, web-browser
- Export game to...
- Android and iOS
- Windows, macOS, Linux
- Facebook Instant Games
GDevelop is available for Windows, macOS, and Linux. To download GDevelop, visit gdevelop-app.com/download.
The installation instructions depend on the operating system.
- Double-click the executable. This installs GDevelop, launches the app, and adds an icon to the Desktop.
- Open the DMG file.
- Drag “GDevelop.app” into the “~/Applications” directory.
- Open a terminal.
- Make the AppImage file executable by typing chmod a+x GDevelop*.AppImage.
- Run it: ./GDevelop*.AppImage (or double click on the file).
If you are using a tablet, you will have to use the web-based editor editor.gdevelop-app.com.
This runs on all major web-browsers, but lacks some of the features of the desktop editor. Most notably...
- Graphics: To add your own custom images and sound, you'll need a suitable hosting site (...Imgur will work for images, github for both images and sound). This can be tricky.
- Save: You can only save and load from Google Drive.
- Stability: The web-based editor also suffers from some stability issues. If the editor starts freaking out, try clearing the cache and reloading the page.